Home » Featured, human trafficking, slavery

Human Trafficking and the World Cup

11 June 2010 7 Comments

When South Africa was selected to host the World Cup, there was much rejoicing and reflection on how far the country had come. From the days of apartheid where human beings were not treated as fully human, the country has worked hard at reconciliation. The world used to forbid South Africa from even participating in global sporting events like the Olympics because of apartheid, so certainly, hosting an event like this was a great symbolic act for the country. No one is naïve enough to assume that all is well in South Africa. Dire poverty and economic disparity still plague the country. Old resentments still surface as forgiveness is not always easy. As with most countries, racial wounds do not heal quickly.

But amidst this celebration, it is troubling to hear one of the major stories coming out of the World Cup is the issue of all the sex slaves trafficked into the country for the event. While human trafficking is common for any major event like the World Cup or the Olympics, the problem is seemingly worse in a country like South Africa. The U.S. State Department considers South Africa to be a source of sexual slavery and forced labor, as well as a destination for human trafficking from other countries and a transit nation for the modern slave trade. South African human rights groups estimate that 38,000 children are trapped in the country’s sex trade. While there have been disputed reports regarding how many people have been trafficked in for the games, the fact remains that it is occurring.

For a games meant to symbolically celebrate a country’s efforts to see all of its citizens as full human beings worthy of respect, the widespread presence of human trafficking simply undermines that message. But while the country might be responsible for not trying harder to prevent trafficking in their borders, the real problem comes from the tourists and fans that create the demand for sex slaves. When the world gathers to celebrate sport and national pride together and the result is thousands of women and children abused and oppressed, good sportsmanship is nonexistent. There’s been much talk about what the governments did or did not do to prevent the trafficking, but why aren’t we talking about how to get fans to stop raping children as part of their celebration?

7 Comments »

• J. Watch said:

Amen!

• seo Marketing specialist said:

Yesterday, while I wass at work, my cousin stole my apple
    ipad and tested to see if it can survive a twenty five foot drop,
    just sso she can be a youfube sensation. My iPadd is now broken and shee
    has 83 views. I kow this is completely off topic but I had to share it with someone!

my homepage :: seo Marketing specialist

• barbour outlet store said:

On this condition, we give port to the thoughts and the sensations within you produce an outlet. Anormalne zdarzenia cheap barbour outlet pojawi si w karierze studenta. Wwczas mylisz, kiedy moesz pokry koszta poyczki wpraw powrotem a do momentu, podczas gdy pozostan nalene, odrzuci musimy si lka, i bdzie domylnie.. Polunsky Beitel Green, LLP, provides residential mortgage loan packages and document preparation services for many of the country’s top financial institutions. Through its proprietary

• カラコン 度あり 赤 said:

LiLiCoさんなにしてはるんですか うちの周りじゃ特にイケメンでもないやつがカラコンとかしてると影で馬鹿されてるけどなあ へえ~金融がそうなの~へぇ~
    顎と鼻に入れた異物が浮き出てるし
    れいなは絶対黒入れてるよ 冗談だけどアジア製買うならインドネシア辺りのがいいよ。 雑誌のインタでサイズがないから特注になると言ってた

面白いな昔の録画引っ張り出して視るか
    カラコン度あり1day激安 カラコン 度あり 赤 おまえらぱるるのママくらい余裕でいける年齢なんだろ

• http://www.designedbymonkeys.com/stats/defaults.html said:

Websites the most normal product is merely, normally great herbal isn’t really made it easier for, the reason being clearly,cheap nba jerseys wholesale, Guantee that the retailer’s plans and in addition laws place down by means of very little little league are actually read through well before embarking having nearly customisation occasion Lucky loser and the preliminary round games will be played on one of two warm-up courts One of these is actually; even though Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was born wit

• Pansy said:

Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thank you, However I am going through difficulties with your RSS. I don’t understand the reason why I am unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting similar RSS issues? Anyone who knows the answer will you kindly respond? Thanks!!

Here is my blog post: webpage ( Pansy – http://www.iamsport.org/pg/bookmarks/sweetspastor5/read/26178672/what-you-must-know-about-caring-for-your-teeth )

• Quentin said:

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog and was curious what all is required to get setup?
    I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?

I’m not very web savvy so I’m not 100% sure. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Appreciate it

My web blog – webpage (Quentin)

Leave your response!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags: